Sunday, August 1, 2010

Budgets are Fun

They really are, I'm not being sarcastic. Recently we decided that we need to go back to the old fashioned way of balancing the check book with envelopes of cash and the whole deal, like we did the first two years we were married. At first I was a little stressed. Dealing with arithmetic is NOT my strong suit, plus the idea of cutting back doesn't seem fun. But I sucked it up, and made one. I'm glad I did. It actually made our situation LESS stressful! I know how much we have and where its going and how much I can spend without wondering if its ok. Turns out its very little, but at least I know!! Hehe.

Ashley and I want to go to some farms and pick seasonal fruit and produce, and bring them home and bake pies and tasty meals together. So every week at the grocery store, I try to not spend all the alloted envelope money, and save the extras up for berry picking!

Yesterday CJ and I went to the county fair. CJ found some *extra* cash in his pants, so we got to spend it on parking! It sounds silly, but you have to be strict starting out, or we won't learn. It was so hard to be good and not buy the corn dogs and ice-cream and go on rides, but we did well. And I feel so proud of us.

Its empowering to have a budget, and it gives me a chance to improve myself.

Afterwards we went to the park and ate a picnic lunch. I didn't bring my camera unfortunately, so I don't have any pictures of this outing. But I do have updates of my home garden's progress, and a cute picture of my cat!

Hey there, Blue Eyes!

Almost every stalk has an ear.


My green onions are thick and flavorful. I put them in almost everything.


I have about 30 of these little tomatoes growing right now.


My strawberries are sour and tiny, but I trust they will be better next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment