Monday, September 24, 2012

From Scratch Apple Pie

Today I decided to make an apple pie from scratch, and not look at a single recipe. The result was glorious, if I do say so myself.

All the pie recipes I've tried before had the same flaw: the apples never quite cooked enough, there was too much juice, and the crust would burn before it really seemed done. So I came up with a new plan.

From Scratch Apple Pie Recipe



Ingredients
6 apples, peeled, cored, and sliced thin (I used Gala, Braeburn, and Granny Smith)
4 Tbs. butter
0.25 c. dark brown sugar
0.25 c. sugar
1.5 t. cinnamon
0.5 t. allspice
0.5 t. nutmeg
0.25 t. ground cloves
0.5 c. thick apple juice
0.5 c. flour
1 recipe of pie crust dough (I use this one from Simply Recipes Blog)

1. Melt butter in a large pan on the stove. Add apples and stir until well coated.
2. Add sugars and spices and mix. Stir over medium heat for about 5 minutes (or more... I can't remember!) until the apples start to look softer.
3. Add flour and stir well until there are no dry spots.
4. Pour in cider/juice. It will help moisten the apples again. You may need to add more or less juice. Make it the texture that you would like the finished filling to be, since cooking them on the stove prevents the apples from liquefying too much in the oven.
5. Spoon the mixture into the uncooked pie crust. Top with the other crust, and slice vents in the top.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for around 20 minutes (again, I forget) until the crust looks golden. The apples are mostly cooked by now, so really you're just looking for a good cooked crust.
7. Let it cool for around 2 hours before attempting to cut.

I found that it bubbled over minimally, the texture is good (not too watery/crunchy), and the extra spices and brown sugar added lots of depth to the flavor.

If anyone tries to make this and something seems off, please leave a comment. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment