Friday, March 1, 2013

Sweet Potato and Ham Soup

A lot sure has happened since my last post! We've had the full range of joys and tragedies. I haven't really had much time to post, but I did do a few projects that deserve their own posts, so I'll go dig up pictures and post them soon. But today, I want to bust out this recipe before the baby decides I have to come rescue him from his crib.

Sweet Potato and Ham Soup

I came up with this because these were the only ingredients left in my fridge after not shopping all week. The proportions are not important. If you have more sweet potato and less potato, more/less ham, no celery, etc, it doesn't matter. Also, I say 4-6 cups of broth because depending on how this fits together, you may need more or less juice. Use your own judgement. It will be delicious!

4 T. butter
1 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
4-6 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 cups diced ham
3 cups diced potatoes (Yukon Gold are best)
1 cup diced sweet potato (and by sweet potato I mean that orange colored kind)
1 cup chopped celery
1 T. parsley flakes
Heavy cream to taste
a pinch of thyme (optional)

1. Saute the onion and garlic in the butter until onions are soft and slightly browning.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients except for the cream, and cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender, but not falling apart. (about 20 minutes)
3. Spoon into bowls. Add 1-2 tablespoons of cream to each bowl and stir before serving.
4. Enjoy!




1 comment: